Lafayette, La.-- Whether you work Downtown or come to the district for fun and events, it is likely you've had difficulty finding parking at one point. Parking in Downtown has become a point of frustration for many since the abrupt closure of the Buchanan Street Parking Garage in October of 2018.
And although there are always spaces available in the Vermilion Street parking garage, with no way to accept credit card payments and a confusing rate structure it has been difficult for many Downtown visitors to utilize the garage. To address this, the Downtown Development Authority
has worked closely with the Parking Administration of LCG to streamline parking operations at Parc Auto Du Centre-Ville (the Vermilion Street parking garage).
The Vermilion parking garage is located conveniently in the center of Downtown and it rarely exceeds half capacity. We urge those who work and play Downtown to take advantage of the largest parking asset in the district. Now it will be easier to park there with credit card payments and simplified rates.
New changes at the Vermilion garage will go into effect on Monday, October 14th.
Notable changes will be as follows:
- Payment by credit/debit card will now be accepted in addition to cash.
- Parking rates will be simplified to $1/hour and a maximum charge of $5 for the entire day.
- Pre-payment is required along with a license plate number at the parking kiosk (similar to the payment system at the Rosa Parks Transportation Center).
- Parking without payment will result in a $35 fine (fines will double after 15 days of non-payment).
- There will be no changes to monthly parking rates.
We hope you will take advantage of the Vermilion garage next time you come to the Downtown district for a night out, lunch with friends, or one of the many upcoming events in the district. Thank you for your support of Downtown Lafayette.
*Photo and Content courtesy of the Downtown Development Authority.