Skip to main content

House Fire Leaves Lafayette Family Homeless

Jan 23, 2020 05:15PM ● By News Desk
Lafayette firefighters responded to a call in the 200 block of Lincoln Street Thursday morning after a neighbor called informing emergency dispatchers a house was on fire.

According to Alton Trahan, PIO for the Lafayette Fire Department, when firefighters arrived on scene, the front of the dwelling was engulfed in flames. An initial search was conducted to confirm all occupants were out. The fire was brought under control within fifteen minutes of arriving. The house sustained heavy fire damage.

The elderly homeowner, Gabrella Bienvenu, was inside her bedroom when she began to smell smoke. She got up to check where the burnt smell was coming from. She noticed the bedroom of her disabled adult nephew, who left earlier, on fire. She quickly exited and went to a neighbor’s house for help. She escaped without any injuries. 

Unfortunately, the homeowner did not have any insurance. She lived with her nephew who has special needs. American Red Cross was contacted to provide immediate assistance to the occupants.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in an electrical receptacle in the bedroom. An overloaded receptacle was the cause. The fire was ruled an accident.