LFT Regional Airport Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony Celebrating New Terminal OpeningJan 19, 2022 04:51PM ● By Flint Zerangue, Sr.
LFT Regional Airport ribbon-cutting for new 120,000 sq. ft. terminal. Photo Credit: Glenn DeLaune - GLDP Photography
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held today celebrating the opening of the new terminal at Lafayette Regional Airport. The three-year, $155 million project began years before construction when Lafayette voters recognized the economic importance of a new terminal and passed a temporary (Eight-Month) .01 cent sales tax in 2015, which raised more than $32 million in working capital and led the way for additional funding from state and federal agencies.
Governor John Bel Edwards, along with many local, state, and federal dignitaries and legislators attended today’s ribbon-cutting ceremony. In a brief statement, Governor Edwards stated that the new terminal is another jewel in Louisiana's system of airports and thanked the Lafayette Airport Commission and Senator Page Cortez for their leadership and commitment to the transportation sector.
Visitors and travelers of the new terminal will be impressed by the design, size and amenities offered in the new 120,000 square feet facility. According to airport officials, demolition of the old terminal should begin later this year which will make room for additional expansion in the future.The new terminal at Lafayette Regional Airport officially opens to the public tomorrow, Thursday, January 20, 2022.
What else can travelers expect to find at the new LFT Terminal?
- Two TSA security screening lines with state-of-the-art safety systems and room for expansion.
- Five departure and arrival gates.
- Nearly 1000 parking spaces, an increase of 200.
- A Service Animal Relief Area (SARA) is located inside the terminal.
- Two Mothers’ Rooms are located within the terminal.
- A state-of-the-art security system featuring 190 cameras to aid with public safety.
- Conveniently located Rental Car stations.
- A new baggage handling system.
- All lighting in the new terminal is LED.
- A beautiful rotunda overlooking the airfield with bars and restaurants. The rotunda features Sage Glass, which tints automatically from the angle of the sun.
- Visitors will be able to purchase food and drinks on both sides of the security checkpoint.
Despite multiple hurricanes and the COVID-19 pandemic, the new terminal was completed on budget and with minimal delays.
Learn more about the Lafayette Regional Airport at https://lftairport.com
Photo Credit: Glenn DeLaune - GLDP Photography